Monday at Internet Librarian
Oct. 23rd, 2012 08:38 amI am now in the Marriot for keynote for internet librarian. The intro says that we have about 960 pre-reg at the 16th Internet Libarian. With on-site reg is probably about 1K. 43 states and DC, 11 countries other than US.
David Weinberger Keynote - Transforming Knowledge in the Age of the Net. He talked about all kinds of things - Library as Platform, Reddit and the Enlightment Ideal, ways of dealing with disagreements that are evovling on the web (as it becomes clear everyone has a different point of view). Much talking. He is very hard to follow. Johotheblog - http://www.hyperorg.com/blogger/
Then I went to David Lee King's 7 Weird Goals and Six Hot Tips (for library websites). They were interesting and I think I will get his new book, Face2Face. (I flipped through it at the author signing time but just couldn't bring myself to buy it in paper.)
Walked between the web design track and the search track - yikes it is raining out there! And my umbrella is back in my hotel room.
The new room has really sucky wifi compared to the Steinbeck Auditorium. I know I shouldn't prefer things tracked in Steinbeck... but I do. If two tracks are equally interesting and one is in the Steinbeck I go there. But I really wanted to hear the Google Tips Greg Notess will offer since I'm writing google guides. His 50 tips were interesting but not the same ones I would give for the audiences I'm planning on working with (he was focussed on academic). But at least I feel like I'm not missing anything!
At the lunch break I grabbed some ham and cheese and Dr. Pepper at the deli and went back to my room to play WoW. Then I thought I'd just rest my eyes for a minute. And then it was 5pm. I am still fighting this sore throat thing and I guess my body just didn't think web design and such was important. Bah. I am sorry to have missed the Drupal session.
I went over for the 5pm opening of the exhibits and had a glass of wine and a crab cake and talked to various folks. There really aren't that many vendors this year but we are in a smaller exhibit area than usual and it felt crowded with a large fraction of our thousand attendees in line for crab cakes. *grin*
Then I went to dinner for the "mobile app" dine-around at Jacks. There was no moderator and we did very little talking about mobile but we had some good conversations and I met a guy from CSU Hayward who says they need a business librarian if I was interested. He lives in San Jose Japantown and plays WoW... we had lots of talk about!
I got to the hotel about 9:30 and played WoW for a bit (Roszantha is a Zen Master Archaeology and about 1/3 of the way through 86.) I wish I could sleep for stretches longer than 4 hours at a time but I did probably get 7 hours. I got up at 6, played WoW until 7 when the hotel wifi died and I moved over to the convention center until 8. Now I am waiting in the Marriott for Tuesday's keynote.
David Weinberger Keynote - Transforming Knowledge in the Age of the Net. He talked about all kinds of things - Library as Platform, Reddit and the Enlightment Ideal, ways of dealing with disagreements that are evovling on the web (as it becomes clear everyone has a different point of view). Much talking. He is very hard to follow. Johotheblog - http://www.hyperorg.com/blogger/
Then I went to David Lee King's 7 Weird Goals and Six Hot Tips (for library websites). They were interesting and I think I will get his new book, Face2Face. (I flipped through it at the author signing time but just couldn't bring myself to buy it in paper.)
Walked between the web design track and the search track - yikes it is raining out there! And my umbrella is back in my hotel room.
The new room has really sucky wifi compared to the Steinbeck Auditorium. I know I shouldn't prefer things tracked in Steinbeck... but I do. If two tracks are equally interesting and one is in the Steinbeck I go there. But I really wanted to hear the Google Tips Greg Notess will offer since I'm writing google guides. His 50 tips were interesting but not the same ones I would give for the audiences I'm planning on working with (he was focussed on academic). But at least I feel like I'm not missing anything!
At the lunch break I grabbed some ham and cheese and Dr. Pepper at the deli and went back to my room to play WoW. Then I thought I'd just rest my eyes for a minute. And then it was 5pm. I am still fighting this sore throat thing and I guess my body just didn't think web design and such was important. Bah. I am sorry to have missed the Drupal session.
I went over for the 5pm opening of the exhibits and had a glass of wine and a crab cake and talked to various folks. There really aren't that many vendors this year but we are in a smaller exhibit area than usual and it felt crowded with a large fraction of our thousand attendees in line for crab cakes. *grin*
Then I went to dinner for the "mobile app" dine-around at Jacks. There was no moderator and we did very little talking about mobile but we had some good conversations and I met a guy from CSU Hayward who says they need a business librarian if I was interested. He lives in San Jose Japantown and plays WoW... we had lots of talk about!
I got to the hotel about 9:30 and played WoW for a bit (Roszantha is a Zen Master Archaeology and about 1/3 of the way through 86.) I wish I could sleep for stretches longer than 4 hours at a time but I did probably get 7 hours. I got up at 6, played WoW until 7 when the hotel wifi died and I moved over to the convention center until 8. Now I am waiting in the Marriott for Tuesday's keynote.

no subject
Date: 2012-10-25 02:05 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-10-26 03:10 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-10-27 02:32 am (UTC)